Adventures

Jan 18, 2008

Chicken Salad

This is the second recipe to come from the Coq au Vin recipe experiment. It is also the last. I had initially planned to use the remaining sauce as a base for soup. After the sauce cooled in the fridge, I removed the top layer of fat that had solidified. However, I could tell from the remaining product that I would have a greasy soup base. The stuff was still terribly gelatinous. Red flag for fat. I do not do greasy soup. This goes back to one of my peeves about chicken in the first place - makes everything greasy (unless you use skinless but that doesn't work with Coq au Vin).

The chicken salad, however, was delicious. I threw it together on the fly but I think I've recreated the ingredients in a helpful manner.


When reading this list begin each line with, "About...")

* 1 garlic clove, crushed or mashed then minced
* 1/2 of a bigger than average jalapeno, seeded, julienned, then finely diced
* Leftover, cooked chicken form this Coq au Vin recipe recipe. Of course, this resulted in purple chicken so you will get purple chicken salad. I used maybe 2 cups diced.
* 6 tablespoons plain lowfat or nonfat yogurt
* 2 tablespoon Smart Source (mayo alternative)
* Generous sprinkle of the following: garam masala, ground cumin, celery salt
* 2 thinly sliced scallions
* 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into a small dice
* Salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together, taste, re-season, if needed. Serve with whole wheat pita bread or crackers, or serve atop a bed of fresh salad greens. Or just grab a fork and dig in.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails