Adventures

Jan 29, 2008

Roasted Cauliflower and Potato Soup

Love roasted vegetables. Love soup. Love the two together.

You will need:
  • Half of a normal-sized cauliflower. Cut the florets into at least halves, even thirds, so they roast evenly and don't get too brown.
  • Two medium-sized yellow potatoes (or whatever potatoes you have on hand).
  • Half of an onion, diced (almost 1 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, bruised
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • dried dill, savory, and tarragon
  • celery salt
  • coarse salt and crushed black pepper to taste
  • Skim Supreme Fat-free milk
Everything gets tossed in olive oil and liberally seasoned with the herbs, salt and pepper. Don't be shy. Once you puree and thin and add milk, you will appreciate your heavy hand with the herbs. I used one pan to roast the cauliflower and one to roast the onion, potatoes, and garlic. Pop both pans in the oven and roast at about 350 degrees until everything is tender. Slow and low is the key here. Don't get me wrong - I love it when roasted veggies get a deep golden brown. But I didn't necessarily want that for this soup. When everything is tender, I throw it all in the food processor and blend well, adding hot water to thin to the desired consistency. I then transfer it all to a soup pot on low heat and add milk before serving. Now, I know that alot of folks think that creamed soups aren't authentic or even tasty without cream or butter or both or something very artery-clogging and caloric. To them I say get over yourselves. We're not the fattest country in the world for nothing. Explore some other options. For example, Lucerne has a variety of skim milk, yes, skim milk, that is white and creamy - not blue and watery. In fact, my partner, a staunch evaporated milk in her coffee user, likes the stuff. It's called Skim Supreme. Try some. I used this to further thin the soup and add the creaminess. I also re-seasoned, as always. Eat and enjoy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails