Adventures

Feb 9, 2008

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus


Hummus is so easy to make and it lends itself to just about any flavors and ingredients you'd like to add. I should say right off that I do not include tahini in my hummus. I realize that tahini is an essential ingredient in traditional hummus but I've never been a big fan. I don't care for the slight bitter taste. And if I don't care so much for the taste, I'd rather not add the calories (100 calories per tablespoon!).

I like to flavor my hummus with onion and garlic and olive oil for starters. But I saute these items. The raw versions can be too strong. I can have more garlic and onions if they are sauteed. In this batch I added roasted red and orange pepper. Roasting peppers is easy. If you have a gas range you can simply hold them over the flame with a pair of tongs and char all sides. Or you can put them under the broiler, which is what I do. If you have a charcoal grill, throw on a couple peppers once your cooking is done. Don't waste that heat. While you are eating whatever it was you grilled, your peppers are slowly roasting. I do this with heads of garlic and onions too if I've got hot coals. Once the peppers cool, rub off the skin. Do not rinse the peppers - you will rinse off the flavor.

I saute the onion and garlic in a fair amount of olive oil slowly over a medium heat. I don't necessarily need them to brown but I do want them cooked. I season this mix heavily with salt and any other spices I'm in the mood for (cumin, chili, cardamom, ginger, garam masala, fenugreek, etc.) Keep in mind that garbanzo beans really soak up seasoning so don't be shy.

Into the food processor goes 2 cans of canned garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed) and the sauteed items and the roasted peppers. Process to the desired consistency. You can also thin with water or more olive oil if the mix is too thick. Season to taste with coarse salt. Eat with chopped veggies, pita, tortilla chips, or a spoon. Just eat!
--

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails