Adventures

Mar 1, 2008

Miso Sake Tofu

Tofu is really easy to prepare and is perfect for experimenting with different flavors. Unlike alot of folks, I DO think tofu has a flavor. To me, each brand tastes different. I'm not too focussed on covering up the tofu-ness of my tofu. But marinading it is a good way to infuse added flavor to the tofu, especially a blander one. The brand I used for this recipe was on mega-buy-one-get-one-sale so I thought I'd try it. I used one package for this recipe and I froze the other. Freezing, thawing, draining, pressing gives tofu a denseness that I really like. But I prefer Wild Wood Extra Firm Organic Tofu above all others. I also never buy the pre-baked and pre-flavored tofu. Tofu doesn't naturally come with that much fat but those pre-made things seem to pack a good deal. I'll make my own tofu, thank you. Then I can control the fat, the sugar (plenty of it in Asian food, especially processed Asian food) and salt (again, Asian food is full of sodium). Once you have drained and pressed the tofu (if necessary), cut it up however you like - cubes, slabs, sticks, etc. Blend the ingredients and pour over the tofu then gently fold to cover all the pieces. You can marinate the tofu overnight (like I did simply because I was doing other things) or for just an hour. You can bake it, broil it, grill it, fry it. In fact, you need not "cook" it at all. It isn't raw. Tofu is perfectly edible right out of the package. Marinate it, drain off the marinade and make a salad with it. Stick toothpicks in it and serve it as an appetizer. And the great thing about a non-meat marinade is that it can be used as additional sauce for dipping. So go try some tofu, already. 14 oz. extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, cut into slabs 1 tsp black bean, garlic sauce 1 tsp fish sauce 1 tsp toasted sesame oil juice of half a lime 1 tsp mirin 1 tbsp sake 1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar 1 heavy tbsp aka miso* 1 large garlic clove, minced 1 heavy tbsp minced ginger *A note about miso. I don't claim to know much at all about miso. I do know that there are several varieties of miso, each with a distinct flavor and used for different purposes. I have aka miso in my fridge so this is what I use for all dishes that call for miso. I'm sure it's not appropriate for all dishes in the traditional sense but I really like the taste of everything I've made with it so far.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails