Adventures

Jun 27, 2008

Tofu Tacos

Soft tacos make a great meal that come together quickly. Make the marinade in the morning and let the tofu marinate all day in the refrigerator while you do other things. These taste great, are a great meat alternative that will fill you up, and this kind of dish is easy to tailor to the tastes of anyone in the house.

What you will need:
  • 12 oz. firm or extra firm tofu, drained and cubed, sliced, grated, julienned, etc. (my preferred brand in Wild Wood Organic's Super Firm Tofu)
  • Juice of 1 1/2 small limes
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
  • 2 tbsp mild red chili flakes
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tbsp mirin
  • 1 tsp hot red chili flakes
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
Combine all ingredients then add the tofu and toss to coat. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to cook. All day is fine. Once in a while I'll go in the refrigerator and give the mix a toss (and sneak a piece of tofu).

To heat up the tofu I thinly slice a half an onion and saute this in a tablespoon of olive oil until it begins to brown. I then add all of the tofu but not any extra liquid from the marinade. Let this fry until some color comes to the tofu and you're done. Serve it hot. Sometimes I saute the onions separately. Sometimes I add red peppers too. Whatever I have on hand.

As for toppings, that's entirely up to you and also depends on what is on hand. We dressed our tacos with cheese, shredded cabbage, cilantro and plain yogurt. I prefer a low carb, whole wheat tortilla. S likes the standard flour ones. I like hot sauce. S doesn't. Building the soft taco is creative venture. Listen to your tummy.

By the way, the leftovers are great straight from the refrigerator or eaten with rice or stuffed back into a tortilla again.

4 comments:

FH said...

Anything with Tofu, my daughter is there in a flash!:D

Looks great vb!:)

ShellyH said...

yummy! I have made tofu salads before but never with soft shelled tacos! I am visiting your blog this morning from the foodie blog roll.

vb said...

asha, your daughter will love it.

vb said...

shelly, thanks so much for visiting! Make these soon. Really tasty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails