Adventures

Mar 7, 2013

Project 296: Salade Niçoise

I love to make salade Niçoise because it takes very little time at the stove. I can use the same pot to boil beans and then potatoes. Plus, it's a meal in itself. Leafy greens, potato for carbs, and protein in the form of tuna, eggs and anchovies. My version has almost all of the traditional components of this famous salad. I did not, however, have Niçoise olives. They are very expensive and I already had an olive mix on hand. I also didn't add tomatoes because they aren't in season. As for capers, we love them. But the salad had enough salty stuff. I feel I have a better than fair representation of Niçoise salad. Besides, with a dish like this, the ingredients will be debated until the end of time. Anyone seeing the salad I have created will recognize it as Niçoise salad even if they disagree with one or two of my ingredients.For the salad: handful salad greens (or more, if you like) two medium red potatoes 1/2 lb. green beans 4-6 anchovies, flat or rolled, rinsed and drained 4-6 hard boiled eggs, halved 1 6 oz can of tuna, drained olives Boil the potatoes: If you are using baby redskins, simply boil them whole. If not, you will need to cut up the potatoes in slightly larger than bite-sized pieces. Boil them in salted water until just tender. Drain and set aside to cool. Quick boil the green beans: head and tail the beans then drop them into boiling salted water for only a couple of minutes. Then quickly sink them into ice water to stop the cooking. This way you will retain that brilliant green color. Drain and set aside to cool. Assemble the salad greens on a plate or platter and then arrange the other ingredients on top of the greens in any fashion you like. Drizzle with the vinaigrette. Vinaigrette: 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 tbsp minced shallots 1 tsp dijon mustard 1-2 tsp balsamic vinegarIt's simple. It's delicious. It's filling. It's great with a glass of crisp, white wine.

2 comments:

Alexa said...

Hi VB,
Your salad nicoise looks great... It's a favorite of my childhood once again. I grew up eating it with potatoes and green beans but that would make purist cringe. Real salade nicoise had no cooked vegetable... Here's an article on it I thought you might enjoy:
Article about Salade Nicoise

vb said...

Alexa, thanks! I will definitely read this. I love to learn about the history and tradition of a dish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails