Adventures

Dec 23, 2011

Buckwheat Pancakes

I eat pancakes about once a year. Some years, I don't eat any pancakes. I'm OK with that. The world is full of great food and I never feel deprived for the lack of pancakes. But S really wanted pancakes over this holiday weekend. And I have buckwheat flour I need to use. Pancakes were a no-brainer.

These were delicious, no argument there. These were easy. These will hold you all the live long day.
  • 2/3 cup buckwheat flour
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups milk of your choice
  • 1/4 cup butter (or butter substitute of your liking), melted
  • 2 eggs (or egg substitute equivalent)
  • Optional: a dash of vanilla; a pinch of cinnamon; a pinch of all-spice; and/or grated orange zest
Mix the dry. Mix the wet. Mix the two together. Batter will be thick and a bit lumpy.

I heat the griddle on medium, sprayed it with cooking spray and then started ladling the batter. Not too big, not too small. I let each cook 3-4 minutes. Then I flipped and let them cook another 3 minutes or so. You can tell when they've "set" and that's when I remove them from the griddle and ladle out another batch.

Top these to suit your fancy. I dig fresh cranberries, almonds, and real maple syrup.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails