Adventures

Jul 6, 2006

Indian Inspired Garbanzo Beans and Red Rice

This dish was just made on the spur of the moment. I had some left over Bhutanese red rice with which I had made a very tasty pilaf. I had cooked the rice with cumin and corriander and fenugreek seeds in the water. I then sauteed a smal dice of carrot, mushroom, onion, zucchini, and perhaps some bell pepper. I can't even remember right now. It's usually whatever is in the refrigerator. I combine this with the rice and make enough to last a few days.

The garbonzo bean mix was just another use of things on hand. In some olive oil I threw some mustard seeds. As soon as they begin to pop I added garlic, some diced onion, and a bunch of spices - sambar, cumin, corriander, cardamom, curry, garam masala. Once this cooks for a few minutes I added about 2/3 cup of green split peas and one can of garbonzo beans (we call them ceci or ceci beans - "CHE-chee" or "CHEE-jee") with the liquid. Cover and let simmer until the peas are soft. Then serve over the rice with a dollop of yogurt and chopped fresh cilantro. Yum-eeeeeee!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails