Adventures

Oct 19, 2011

Almond Cornmeal Cookie

This delicious cookie was inspired by Martha Stewart's Lemon-Cornmeal Sheet Cookie from the November issue of her magazine. I replaced the original recipe's lemon zest with a pinch of cinnamon, I cut back slightly on the sugar, and I omitted the additional sugar on top. I really don't like overly sweet cookies and I wanted something a bit earthier than lemon to pair with Peet's medium roast coffees.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup fine ground yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon anise seeds
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Coarse salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten for egg wash
1 decent pinch cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, anise seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.

Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in whole egg. Reduce speed to low, and beat in flour mixture.

Press dough into an even 1/4-inch thickness on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with almonds. Bake until golden - 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Break into pieces.

In the same way I substituted ingredients for this final cookie, I can see future cookies in which I've used cinnamon and nutmeg, cardamom and anise, lemon or orange and cardamom, or even coconut and pistachio. So many flavor combos to try!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails